Operations and Engineering Manager
Salary will be discussed on application.
Purpose of the Role of the Operations and Engineering Manager
To ensure that operational processes in the UK run smoothly, meeting business targets within company budgets to deliver products, according to the required quality standards, meeting SLAs whilst driving best practice across the business.
Responsible for leading the Operations and Engineering teams in the UK, reporting to the Operations Director, this is a key role within the Senior Management Team.
In addition to operational responsibilities this position will also drive a concerted R&D agenda with a focus on improving efficiency through automation.
The incumbent will be expected to keep themselves up to date with industry developments, within both the supply chain and competitive businesses, and to advise the Operations Director (and wider Board) accordingly.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks will include:-
- Working collaboratively with the management team to ensure an efficient and effective operation, focused on the needs of customers at all times; support the Operations Director with strategic planning for the short to medium term;
- research new and future technologies, making recommendations as appropriate;
- attend daily production meetings and update on any issues which could cause a delivery delays;
- report monthly KPI’s detailing progress in improvement activity; ensure all work is carried out in accordance with the company’s Health & Safety Policies;
- ensure products meet specification and quality standards;
- ensure efficient use of manpower and machinery, minimise downtime and maximise machine run rates;
- consistently strive to recommend and implement continuous improvement initiatives;
- day-to-day management of the Engineering Team ensuring all key tasks are covered, equipment and processes are maintained, and development projects have the required production engineering input;
- establish measures for current state of key products and business processes and define improvement activities focusing on productivity targets
- manage Engineering input for product designs and machine innovation, ensuring a focus on manufacturability and the transition of new products and hybrid bespoke machinery into manufacturing across all production lines, provide input and advice on capex decisions;
- positive leadership ensuring employees are coached, challenged and aligned to key business objectives and the company culture;
- people management, including performance management, time and attendance, absence, disciplinary and grievance matters; responsible for the recruitment of new and replacement employees, supported by HR; maintain a motivated work force and develop employees to reach their full potential; maintain the company software to include absences, sickness etc.; responsible for identifying training and development needs within operations and engineering;
- Facilitate external customer visits when required.
Skills and qualifications required for the role:
- Degree/ HND qualification
- Experience in operations management
- Experience of managing medium to large teams in a manufacturing or comparable industry
- Experience in using management systems
- Proven experience in R&D implementation
- Excellent IT skills, experienced in using Microsoft Office
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Excellent commercial understanding; aware of the business and customer needs and to understand the cost-related impact of own actions and decisions
- Experienced in managing a budget
- Proven experience and understanding of the principles and tools of lean manufacturing (e.g. standardisation of processes, work flow, structured problem solving, 5S and continuous improvement processes etc)
- Awareness of current Health, Safety and Environmental legislation and best practice
- Ability to drive the company culture through personal best practice
- Analytical approach in understanding data
- Relevant Engineering degree or similar preferred,-strong experience supplemented with vocational qualifications will also be considered
- H & S qualification (IOSH / NEBOSH)
- Experience of managing production lines
- Print industry knowledge
Full job role will be discussed on application along with salary and benefits.
This role is based on a 40-hour working week however, flexibility is required depending on the operational needs of the business.
anew south west is acting as an employment agency for this position.
To apply please upload your CV – Thank you
or contact Trudi Spratt for a confidential conversation 07787409615